Easter pastel skittle mini egg nails
I wanted to do some Easter nails, but I’m not particularly religious, nor did I want cutesy bunny nails. So instead I thought I’d try to recreate some mini eggs on my nails. We love Cadbury mini eggs in our house, so why not?!
I was a bit flummoxed when I looked more closely at a pack of eggs to find out that they don’t seem to come in blue or green or pink any more. Instead, there were white, yellow, peach and purple ones. Well, four colours simply doesn’t work for five digits, so I just ignored the real colours and went with a loose interpretation.
The spots on Cadbury mini eggs are purple. I could have managed that by mixing up some acrylic paint to the right colour, then painstakingly painting the spots on each nail. But I thought instead I’d try using some of my matte glitters in a bit of a glitter sandwich.
So I painted two coats of each colour (three for the peach as it was more sheer) and then very carefully added the glitter. I did this by wiping off the brush on the neck of the bottle, then picking back up just a little of that glitter for each nail. I used W7 Salt n Pepper first, and got the basis of the spots. Then I added a tiny bit of L’Oreal Top Coat Confettis in a couple of places, because it has some larger glitters. I tried not to get any of the white particles, but it was impossible.
Then I layered over another very thin coat of colour. Even that was a little thick, so I had to wipe off the brush, then brush off some of that polish from the nail.
For the first time, I used PVA glue as a base coat for this manicure, as it is supposed to be an easier method of removing the glitter. I usually use the foil method anyway, but wanted to try this out to see if it’s any good. I’ll let you know how I get on in a later post.
- Thumb: two coats of NYC Mint Macaroon; glitter; then another coat of colour
- Index finger: two coats of MUA U&I; glitter; then another coat of colour
- Middle finger: two coats of NYC Lavender Cupcake; glitter; then another coat of colour
- Ring finger: three coats of Beauty UK Peach Melba; glitter; then another coat of colour
- Little finger: two coats of Models Own Blooboo; glitter; then another coat of colour
- Glitter polishes: W7 Salt n Pepper and L’Oreal Top Coat Confettis
- Top coat: Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti-Chip
– – – – –
All images are copyright to Kerruticles unless otherwise mentioned.