I’ve been nominated for a Liebster award
Alyssia from Rose Tint My Nails has nominated me for a Liebster award. How lovely! Someone other than me is actually reading my blog!
I don’t know who started this award. I searched quite extensively online to try to find out – but there was nothing “official” about it, not even a Wikipedia page. I did discover that it carries across a number of blog genres (quilting, entrepreneurship, crafting, and politics, for example), so it isn’t exclusive to nails blogs. And there are at least six different logos in use for it.
Some blogs seem to pass it on to three others, and some pass it on to five. The nails one that is currently going around goes to eleven.
Anyway, whatever its provenance, I think it’s a great idea and am very happy to participate. I basically have to:
- Supply 11 facts about myself
- Answer the questions supplied by Alyssia
- Nominate 11 other bloggers
- Give those bloggers 11 questions of my own to answer
So here goes …
11 facts about me
- I was an Arsenal season ticket holder for about 15 years
- My star sign is Aquarius
- I am a self-employed marketing consultant
- I manage 15 social media accounts (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter – for me in my various guises, and for four of my clients)
- My favourite city is Rome (followed closely by La Rochelle)
- I love eating vegetables
- I like watching cricket and am a member of Surrey so get to sit in the pavilion at the Oval quite a lot
- I run one-day marketing courses in London and Croydon
- My favourite dish is Thai red curry
- I love building websites
- I’m too old and too fat … but am very happy!
Alyssia’s questions for me
- What is your favourite colour?
Blue. More specifically, I love turquoise.
- What made you start your blog?
I was beginning to become obsessed with painting my nails (you’ve all been there, right?!) and I was posting my manicures on my Facebook timeline. I started to receive some slightly negative or questioning comments about my new hobby, and realised others just didn’t “get” what I get out of it. So, with no other objective other than documenting my manis for myself, I started my blog.
- What is your favourite blog of the moment?
I really like One Nail to Rule Them All. I think Alice is such a talented artist and I love her designs.
- What manicure that you have completed is your favourite?
It’s poppies that I dotted onto my nails for Remembrance Sunday this year. It was my first time using a dotting tool and I was really pleased with how well I did. I thought I would completely mess it up and I didn’t.
- What is your biggest inspiration?
My kind, clever and very talkative nine-year old son inspires me. Inspires me to work hard so that I can afford all the things I want to give him. Inspires me with the funny or silly or insightful things he says. Inspires me with his unconditional love for me and his Dad.
- What’s your favourite song?
I’ve been back and forth with this and I just cannot decide. Madness are my original one true love (One Better Day is probably my favourite), but there are some Will Young songs that mean a lot to me (Leave Right Now was number one when my son was born, for example), and some Take That songs too (Back for Good was our first dance at our wedding reception). Plus, there are some 80s tunes that I loved growing up, such as The Story of the Blues (The Mighty Wah), Dizzy (Vic Reeves and The Wonderstuff) and Sit Down (James). I just can’t narrow it down, sorry.
- What is your favourite manicure?
I can’t decide between gradient nails and half moon nails. Love them both!
- Where do you buy polish from?
Everywhere that sells it! I buy online, from high street shops, from designer concessions in department stores, and from discount shops.
- What is your favourite brand of polish?
I had to choose just one, I think I’d say Barry M. They are inexpensive, seem to innovate (or at least be very early with) new ideas, and have a great range of core colours. Plus the Gelly Hi-Shine range is great for stamping.
- Who is your hero?
Stephen Fry. He’s a national treasure! I love his intelligence and wit. I love his manner. I love his honesty. I love his acting.
- What is the future of your blog?
Who knows? I’ve started it for personal reasons, and love doing it. I do have a couple of business ideas that are to do with nails, so may use it as a platform for those (should they they ever get off the ground), but even if it just stays as it is, it will have served its original purpose and I will be happy with it.
These are the 11 bloggers I am nominating for a Liebster award. I’ve checked their blogs and can’t seem to see that they have done this already, so I hope I am the first to nominate them.
- Swishie Nails
- Inky Whiskers
- One Nail to Rule Them All (she’s been nominated loads, but hasn’t done it as far as I can see)
- Men and Nail Polish (he’s been given it before by someone else, but I can’t see that he’s answered it – so I’m giving it another go)
- Tales of Nails
- Piink COD Gurls’ Nail Files
- Glitter Tips
- Indian Lacquerade
- Skeeter Style
My questions to my nominees
- What is your favourite polish colour?
- Excluding base and top coats, what one nail polish could you not live without (i.e. the actual brand and colour of the one polish you love the most)?
- What is your favourite type of nail art?
- How many polishes do you own (you can approximate if you don’t know exactly)?
- Glitter polish or matte top coat?
- What’s your favourite movie?
- Who would you want to play you in a movie of your life?
- If you could do any job, what would it be?
- What three things (not nail polish, people or animals) would you grab first if your house was on fire?
- Give five adjectives that describe you.
- If you could meet any one person (dead or alive), who would it be?
Thanks Alyssia for nominating me. I enjoyed doing this. And I hope all my nominees do too.