Everything But The Kitchen Sink manicure: purple
Some of my lovely Twitter friends are doing an Everything But The Kitchen Sink Manicure challenge. The challenge is fairly straightforward: on Saturdays in January you do your nails in an “everything but the kitchen sink” fashion. That basically means that you do a mismatched manicure where all (or nearly all) the nails are different.
If you want to see the manicures that everyone has done so far, then you can search on Twitter for #kitchensinksaturday.
I missed the first challenge, but am joining in as of today. I already had a velvet / flocked / fur-effect accent nail, so decided to keep that one and also my purple manicure base.
I started off with the studs and the stripes, and then I was going to add a dotted flowers nail, but didn’t think it went with the more geometric / stark nature of what I’d already done. So instead I added a Saran wrap / clingfilm nail and some glitter.
The colours don’t tie in together as well as I would have liked: Plum Night is very dark and shows up more black than purple; the flocking powder is a bluey-purple; and the glitter nail is more pink than I thought it would look. But it’s kind of funky, n’est-ce pas?
I enjoyed doing it and am already thinking of ideas for next Saturday! You can see which polishes and techniques I used below.
- Thumb: two coats of Revlon Plum Night, layered with one coat of Revlon Scandalous
- Index: two coats of Revlon Plum Night, layered with a coat of Barry M Lilac Foil using the Saran wrap / clingfilm technique
- Middle: a diagonal striped tape manicure using Revlon Plum Night and Barry M Lilac Foil
- Ring: MUA Fur-Effects Nails Fluffy Bobbin
- Little: two coats of Revlon Plum Night, then some small, round silver studs applied with nail glue
- Top coat (where used): Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti-Chip
I love it & it’s a perfect Kitchen Sink mani with all the colors, patterns & textures. Spot on!